Saturday, July 7, 2007

Since my last post, we've travelled a few thousand miles through Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and Colorado. To narrate the details of all that time away from my blog would be an immense task. We've gone through more miles of corn and wheat than I wish to remember, a couple of mountain ranges, a little desert, and some land in between geographic regions that I'm not sure I could categorize other than barren. We've lost a total of three team members to number us fifteen. The routine of riding has completely settled in, and I expect that this part of the ride--the third fourth--will be the most difficult. I've met several hundred people at gas stations, churches, restaurants, and on the side of the road, and all have been receptive to our cause. I also finished my AMCAS application, which has given me a time surplus to read and write and do other things.

As we're about to enter Utah and the hot desert, I'm apprehensive. Everyone heading eastward tells us the sun's gaze is oppresive and the towns sparse. I've been to southern Utah before, but the weather was mild. We also rode in a car. To traverse hundreds of miles of broad horizons and red rock mesas on a bike, which is to be exposed and slow-moving, will probably be grueling for many of us. We'll be camping more than we have yet, and we'll meet far fewer people every day. We will have ourselves for company and support, and San Diego will become a tantalizing goal. And so tomorrow will begin.

No comments: